Understanding Semaglutide, Ozempic and Wegovy for Weight Loss
Updated December 20, 2023
If you’ve been seeing the term “Semaglutide”, “Ozempic” or “Wegovy”, you might be wondering what they are and why they have been making waves across the news and social media.
Today, we’ll explore what it is, how it can work for you, and if Dr. Girouard MD can help you access this medication in North Carolina or Wyoming.
What is Semaglutide?
Semaglutide is a once weekly injectable medication proven to be extremely effective in both lowering blood sugar levels and weight reduction. But what is it exactly?
- Mimics a Natural Hormone: Semaglutide is designed to mimic the action of a hormone called GLP-1 (glucagon-like peptide-1), which naturally occurs in the body. This hormone plays a crucial role in regulating blood sugar levels.
- A Medication for Type 2 Diabetes: Semaglutide (Ozempic) was initially prescribed for individuals with type 2 diabetes.
- Promotes Weight Loss: Interestingly, Semaglutide has shown remarkable potential in promoting weight loss. This promising effect has led to the development of a higher-dose formula and is being marketed as Semaglutide (Wegovy).
How Does It Work for You?
Now, let’s dive into how Semaglutide works and what it can do for you. Remember, these are once weekly injections, usually administered in the abdomen.
- Ozempic: Helps improve and regulate your blood sugar by stimulating the release of insulin from the pancreas when your blood sugar levels are too high. It also reduces the amount of sugar being produced by the liver, so there is less sugar circulating in the blood. It is a valuable and effective option for managing your diabetes.
- Wegovy: Being a higher dose of Semaglutide, Wegovy has gained attention for its ability to reduce appetite and promote a sense of fullness by slowing down the emptying of the stomach. It is an excellent choice for individuals looking to control their caloric intake and achieve weight loss.
Can Dr. Girouard’s Weight Loss and Wellness Clinics Help You?
The good news is, YES, we can help!
Dr. Girouard’s Weight Loss and Wellness Clinics can provide access to both Ozempic and Wegovy, ensuring that you have options in your weight loss journey. Diabetes and weight loss go hand in hand.
When you help one, you help the other. However, it’s important to remember that both medications come in the form of an injection and, like any medication, may have potential side effects.
For this reason, we recommended not utilizing just any weight loss or primary care provider to get your prescription. You deserve a healthcare professional who has years of experience using these medications long before they became a social media sensation.
Dr. Girouard MD has developed specific treatment guidelines to help each patient reach their individual goals. In addition to making dietary recommendations, we will conduct a proper evaluation, discuss which medications are right for you and counsel on their safety and effectiveness.
Semaglutide is indeed a valuable treatment option for individuals with type 2 diabetes and for those seeking weight loss solutions. We’re excited to assist you in discovering more about how Semaglutide could be the answer you’ve been looking for.
Ready to Learn More? Book an Appointment Today!